POIR297: Theories of World Politics- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank- Essay Writing AssignmentDownload Solution Now
Internal Code: 1HAED
Essay Writing Assignment:Task:
- Use one of the theoretical approaches covered in this unit to analyse ONE of the following: establishment of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank; international engagement with China’s Belt and Road Initiative; UN Security Council action in respect of Syria; UN Security Council action in respect of Yemen; negotiations conducted under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change; China’s disputes over maritime boundaries in the South China Sea. Write your essay question in the following form at the top of your paper. “How does [X] theory help to explain [issue].” In your answer, reflect both on what the selected theory can explain and also on the theory’s limitations.
- Is the ‘democratic peace thesis’ the most important practical contribution of liberal international relations theory?
- When and why do states cooperate? Engage with at least three different theoretical perspectives in your answer.
- ‘Since the idea of ‘national interest’ is nebulous, Realist theory is conceptually incoherent and lacking in explanatory power’ Critically analyse this claim.
- Does English School theory help us to understand states’ responses to the ‘Responsibility To Protect’?
- Robert Cox has argued that ‘theory is always for someone and for some purpose.’ Critically evaluate this claim with reference to ONE of the approaches studied this semester.
- Do constructivist accounts of ‘international norm dynamics’ help us understand changes in international responses to refugees during the twenty-first century?
- ‘Post-structural theories have few practical implications.” Critically analyse this claim.
- ‘Feminist scholars have offered a powerful critique of international relations theory, but they have not added to our understanding of the causes of conflict.’ Critically analyse this claim.
- ‘Capitalism, rather than anarchy, is the defining feature of the contemporary international system’. Critically analyse this claim.
- ‘International Relations theory has largely evolved in response to the historical experience of the US; its weaknesses reflect these origins.’Critically analyse this claim.