Identify Iconic, Indexical, or Symbolic Aspects of Signs - Linguistic Assignment Help
Connect with Assignment Expert Now
Icon, Index, or Symbol?
Students will be able to identify iconic, indexical, or symbolic aspects of signs.
Two questions might help students in determining which answer is best:
• What did the signer intend to signify?
• What is the relationship between signifier and signified?
One’s answers may depend on the information one has about the origin/motivation for each sign. I have sometimes found it helpful to say, “Insofar as the signer intended for the sign to refer to, it is an icon (or whatever). However, if we knew more about the origin of the sign, our answer might change.
Here are some suggested signs. Please provide a short explanation for your answer.
1. A red dot for “hot” on a hot water tap – Symbolic
2. ‘H’ for “hot” on a hot water tap - symbolic
3. Red for “stop” – Symbolic because the red for stop came from ships to let captains know if they had the right of way red was on one side of the ship and green on the other. Iconic because red represents danger.
4. Man symbol for “men’s toilets” - symbolic
5. Me on a bicycle, dinging. - iconic
6. Saying “fish” for “fish” -
7. Words like “now”, “here, “I” - indexical
8. Musical notes – symbolic,
9. A limping cat -
10. The word “howl” - iconic
This Linguistic Assignment has been solved by our IT Experts at TVAssignmentHelp. Our Assignment Writing Experts are efficient to provide a fresh solution to this question. We are serving more than 10000+ Students in Australia, UK & US by helping them to score HD in their academics. Our Experts are well trained to follow all marking rubrics & referencing style.
Be it a used or new solution, the quality of the work submitted by our assignment experts remains unhampered. You may continue to expect the same or even better quality with the used and new assignment solution files respectively. There’s one thing to be noticed that you could choose one between the two and acquire an HD either way. You could choose a new assignment solution file to get yourself an exclusive, plagiarism (with free Turnitin file), expert quality assignment or order an old solution file that was considered worthy of the highest distinction.