1. Identify three (3) elements that facilitate the communication process and justify why you identified these as facilitating elements.
2. Name five (5) factors which can influence the communication process.
3. Identify three (3) barriers that affect the communication process and justify why you identified these as inhibiting factors.
4. Outline three (3) principles of confidentiality and what measures you would take to ensure patient confidentiality at all times?
5. A client is experiencing difficulties with communication due to a cognitive impairment; outline four (4) considerations that need to be made for a successful interaction.
6. Describe how a nurse can include the family/carer in a conversation about the patient without breaching principles of confidentiality.
7. Explain the term open disclosure and what an Enrolled Nurses responsibility is in relation to this.
8. Explain what an adverse event is and provide four examples.
Case Study : Case Study One
Karen is a 38 year old female in previous good health who presented with a complaint of having an increasing in size lump in the left breast of approximately 18 months duration.
FAMILY / SOCIAL HISTORY
DIAGNOSIS – Breast Cancer via breast biopsy
After consultation with her Oncologist and genetic testing showing positive to the BRCA gene, the treatment decision made by Karen, was to have a bilateral mastectomy.
Preoperative teaching given included:
Bilateral mastectomy was performed
Case Study Two
Alvin Floyd, a 53-year-old man presented with symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes mellitus:
HISTORY OF PRESENTING ILLNESS
He had been in good health until about two months ago when he started to feel weak and tired more rapidly than usual. On questioning, he admitted to getting up two or three times a night to urinate. He also is often thirsty at those times and drinks a glass of water each time.
Enjoy 40% Discount on All Assignments.