Project Case Study – Mercy Hospital Pharmacy
Consider a project involving development of an Online Mercy Hospital Pharmacy system. The following Information is to be used in Tasks 2 and 3. The Financial Information is to be used in Task 4.
Mercy Hospital currently handles the following procedures manually. You, as a system analyst, and your colleague in a software development team are invited to solve the problems of Mercy Hospital by setting up a computer application as a part of an information system in the Mercy Hospital pharmacy. The pharmacy at Mercy Hospital fills medical prescriptions for all hospital patients and distributes these medications to the nurse stations responsible for the patients’ care. Prescriptions are written by doctors and sent to the pharmacy. A pharmacy technician reviews each prescription and sends it to the appropriate pharmacy station. Prescriptions for drugs that must be formulated (made on-site) are sent to the lab station,prescriptions for off-the- shelf drugs are sent to the shelving stations, and prescriptions for narcotics are sent to the secure stations.
At each station, a pharmacist reviews the order, checks the patient’s file to determine the appropriateness of the prescriptions and files the order if the dosage is at a safe level and it will not negatively interact with the other medication or allergies indicated in the patient’s file. If the pharmacist does not fill the order, the prescribing doctor is contacted to discuss the situation. In this case, the order may ultimately be filled, or the doctor may write another prescription depending on the outcome of the discussion. Once filled, a prescription label is generated listing the patient’s name, the drug type and dosage, an expiration date, and any special instructions. The label is placed on the drug container, and the order is sent to the appropriate nurse station. The patient’s admission number, the drug type, the drug amount dispensed, and the cost of the prescription are then sent to the Billing Department.
The project team consists of 4 members. Each team member may take on different roles during the project, but only one role at a time. For example, one person may take the role of ‘analyst’ and ‘Programmer’, but not at the same time.
The customer and the oversight committee of the project indicated that the initial investment cost of the project is $30,000.00. They foresaw a consistent recurring cost of $3,500 in using the technology with an expected discount rate of 7% within a 5-year period. They also worked out their forecasted benefits as $14,000.00, $17,000.00, $20,000, $25,000.00 and $28,000.00 in the 5-year period.
1. Explain your choice of the 3 most useful investigation techniques that you have used to investigate the new automated information system, Mercy Hospital Pharmacy system and the reasons for choosing them.
2. After you have analysed your collected information produce the following UML diagrams for Mercy Hospital Pharmacy system.
A Use Case Diagram –
• With all the critical use cases in the entire system
B Domain Model Class Diagram –
• With all important classes needed in the entire system
C An Activity Diagram –
• Prescriptions are written by doctors and sent to the pharmacy. A pharmacy technician reviews each prescription and sends it to the appropriate pharmacy station.
D A System Sequence Diagram –
• Assume that the Doctor is an actor using the new system for placing an order to the pharmacy.
Note that when developing each diagram, you may make some assumptions which will affect the results of your presented modelling diagram. For examples,
1. When analysing an organization’s business processes, there are usually some issues which need to be clarified before you can proceed, particularly when the issues affect the way you developed your models.
2. In practice you would simply ask the users. In this case you should make reasonable assumptions of what you believe the users would advise you and list those assumptions here.
Right after a presented diagram, explain each diagram to your readers and your assumptions made in modelling it.
Get 500 Words For FREE on Your Next Assignment By Australia's #1 Assignment Help Provider